Monday, February 13, 2012

Chapter 4



“They are filthy savages who shouldn't be allowed to have children.” This quote chilled my bones when I read it. I know that this book took place during the end of segregation but to hear a human being refer to another human being as a savage hurts my heart. I really did not understand the severity of racism until reading Conroy’s experiences. I since segregation was put to a stop that people would be more open to blacks and coming together in unity. It also shocks me that the person who said this was part of the only white family in Yamacraw. If they really thought that blacks were “savages” why did they not leave to a place where they felt more comfortable?

It shocked me to hear that there was a school house built just for one child. The fact that he was the only white child in the town should not give him the right to be treated in a special manner. It made me quite upset that he had his own school house while the other students were barely getting an adequate education while he was getting a special attention and an education from a private teacher. I understand that it was in a time of segregation, but Lou and Ted definitely took that to their advantage and took advantage of Yamacraw.     

This chapter brought light to how bad segregation and racism was back then.
I really enjoyed hearing about Conroy’s personal life in this chapter. It is cool to hear about how he got married to Barbara and find out about what he does when he is not putting his heart and soul into teaching his students in Yamacraw.  It brings out his character more and I feel like I can understand him better. To be quite honest, I did not like Conroy at the beginning of the book, but I think I am in love with him now. 

1 comment:

  1. I didn't like him in the beginning either, although I KNEW the person he was going to turn out to be... so I realized he was going to change. One thing I love about this book is that the students changed the teacher. The teacher had to be open from learning from his students, but... well, I better let you read the rest first, lol! =o)

    ReplyDelete